Today, April 28th is World Day for Safety & Health. TOS thinks this is a good time to bring everyone’s attention to the issue Safety at work. This year, this day inherited the theme: “Workplace Stress: A collective challenge”
Stress occurs in all industries, positions or type of work, and can happen to anyone. It is not always visible, but it is very important to talk about it. Stress can be caused by time constraints, lack of clarity about how work should be performed or by a lot of paperwork, which is now associated with working in the shipping and offshore.
Stress can cause unsafe situations, but stress can also be caused by not feeling safe at work. Safety is not achieved automatically.
Have you read the Health & Safety Handbook already?
It contains some important tips that can help you carry out your work safely. Click on this link: H&S Handbook
Did you know
- 1 in 8 workers cope with workplace stress
- 31% of the absence/default is related to pressure at work
- Workplace stress is more seen at young people
- Signals such as insomnia, loss of concentration are often detected
We have to avoid stress!
It is very important to continue working with pleasure. Try to keep your workplace healthy together with your colleagues, and remember the urgent of laughter at work. Laughter reduces stress! Hereby a few reminders to avoid stress:
- Tell a funny joke and make them smile
- Stay in good shape by regularly sporting
- Read a nice book: Goodreads selection of funny books
- Make some funny photos and share them with your friends and colleagues
Be smart, be safe! And don’t forget to keep on smiling 😉